Last updated on
Wolverhampton 5-piece Lions of Dissent have released a psych-pop bop as the second single from their EP Fear of Loathing.
‘Dreams Like Drugs’ is a shimmering slice of britpop with a shot of post-punk sensibility. Insistent guitar hooks and singalong vocals make this their catchiest release to date, so it’s easy to see why BBC Introducing Shropshire made it their record of the week.
Since their support slot at the Castle and Falcon with Suicide Squeeze’s LA Witch, Lions of Dissent have disappeared from the public eye to regroup and returned with a new line up and punchier sound, heralded by the release of Fear of Loathing on Lion Rebel Recordings.
Lee Scratch Perry labelled them as having “far out celestial vibes”, and the video for ‘Dreams Like Drugs’ takes this and runs with it. It was directed and edited by Sister Minor, the group’s art director also known for her work with The Night Owl, Birmingham Opera Company, and Medicine Bakery. The video for “Dreams Like Drugs” takes the viewer into a kaleidoscopic landscape that calls to mind hazy summer festivals.
Fear of Loathing was released in Autumn 2019 and is the group’s second full length EP, it is available in physical format on CD here and on all digital platforms.
Listen to ‘Dreams Like Drugs’ below.
Like this? Try these…
- Review: Lions of Dissent create mind bending psychedelia at sell out-gig
- Lions of Dissent are back with indie disco banger ‘Turn Up The Struggle‘
- Dishoom announces Birmingham restaurant opening date and soft launch offer
- Interview: Birmingham trio Wishbone talk conflict and canines
- Video premiere: Watch Brain Food’s ‘Forbidden Tongue’ video
- Genesis confirm reunion and Utilita Arena Birmingham gig – ticket info
- Venue guide: The Night Owl, Birmingham
Visual artist, multi-instrumentalist, and scrounger. Always wearing headphones, probably listening to Ezra Furman, Sleater-Kinney or Goat.